Polton Mill (1750-1946)
Served by the Esk Valley Railway.
This mill was in Polton on the east bank of the River North Esk. It was north east of Polton station. After 1867 it was served by the Esk Valley Railway.
There were two sidings from the line. One served the north side of the works, a siding approached from the north. A second siding ran from the Polton goods yard north east past Polton Cottages over a level crossing to the mill.
The mill closed around 1946. The line closed in 1964.
Little now remains except a short section of railway still embedded in a level crossing at Polton Cottages.
Rosewell and Hawthornden
Eskbank and Dalkeith
Other railway and industry locations
Bilston Glen Viaduct
Edgefield Weighs Cabin
St Leonards Mill
Polton Colliery No 1
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Railways of Peebles (Through Time)