Peelwalls Bridges (1846-)
Opened on the North British Railway.
Two bridges at Peelwalls are listed C. Both are west of the former Ayton station.
These both carry the double track East Coast Main Line, formerly the North British Railway. The bridge to the west carries over a two lane road and that to the east over a single track road.
Other railway and industry locations
Eye Water Viaduct
Lamberton [Border Crossing]
Marshall Meadows Signal Box
Chirnside Paper Mill
Free Kirk Bridge
Berwick North Signal Box
Foulden Tithe Barn
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Dedication to a contractor
The west bridge is noteworthy for an inscription on its northern side: 'North British Railway, Ayton Contract, ROBERT DODDS Contractor 1845'. Few and far between are the bridges with dedications mentioning the contractor.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)
Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967
Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland
Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
|LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons|
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes
South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)
The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway
The North British Railway a History
|The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Vanished Railways of West Lothian