Peebles Engine Shed Signal Box

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Peebles Engine Shed Signal Box (-1962)


Description

This junction and signal box were in the north of Peebles. The box controlled the junction where the 1855 Peebles Railway was met by the 1864 Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway). The junction left the original Peebles [1st] station on a short branch, replaced by Peebles [NB] to the south east on the new line. The old station became a goods yard. The signal box was on the east side of the line, on the west bank of the Eddleston Water.

The engine shed the signal box was named for, Peebles Shed [NB], was to the east of the new line immediately south of the junction. It was a two road shed approached from the north on the west bank of the Eddleston Water. The turntable was in the yard of the Peebles [1st] station, on the west side of the Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway).

The junction was essentially four way, all approached from the north, with lines to (west to east)
March Street Mills
Peebles [1st]
Galashiels, Innerleithen and Peebles Railway (North British Railway)
Peebles Shed [NB]

The box, junction and line closed in 1962.

The location is now built over.

In 1905, for the Highland and Agricultural Society's 1906 Border Show, additional sidings were laid in at Peebles [1st]. A temporary loop was added north of the engine shed signal box, laid on the west side and connected to the north end of the Peebles [1st] yard headshunt. There was a temporary signal box at the north end. The box and loop only operated for the duration of the show.

11/08/2019

Tags

Junction signal box