This structural works was located in Motherwell on the east side of the Motherwell Deviation Line (Caledonian Railway) just north of Lesmahagow Junction (and opposite [[Motherwell Shed).
The works was opened by Alexander Findlay^s Alex. Findlay & Co around 1888, initially working with iron and later steel.
Examples of their work:
1893 Perth General station footbridge (during re-signalling)
1901 Shank Bridge, Arniston
1901 Marylebone station trainshed
1904 Guild Street Bridge over the Great North of Scotland Railway at Aberdeen Joint station
The site is now housing.
The sidings on the east side of the line, the Motherwell Up Sidings, are still known as Findlays Sidings.
| Motherwell Workshops Signal Box|
Parkneuk Colliery No 1 and 2
Motherwell Wagon Works
Motherwell Malleable Iron Works
Motherwell Bridge and Engineering Works
Motherwell Gas Works
Logans Road Level Crossing
North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|17/11/1858||Motherwell Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
The Caledonian Railway buys land in Motherwell for a new shed (Motherwell Shed) to augment its locomotive sheds at South Side and Gartsherrie Shed [GGR] which were suffering from high light engine mileages. The Parkneuk Iron Works and Motherwell Iron and Steel Works were by the shed.