Oxwellmains Siding

Location type

Sidings


Name and dates

Oxwellmains Siding (1846-)

Opened on the North British Railway.


Description

These sidings, serving the Dunbar Cement Works, are east of Dunbar station. The site was originally also known as East Barnes. Oxwell Mains was a farm to west.

Originally there was a siding on either side of the main line, both reached by reversal. The Oxwell Mains Lime Works was to south, served by tramway from south side siding. There was a limestone quarry here.

The quarry extended and existed on either side of line. There is a large cement works, the Dunbar Cement Works, on the south side of the line, railway served. Tarmac - Dunbar Cement Works

Siding on both sides of the line are served from the west. The southern group serve the loading point for the cement works.

The northern group were used for rubbish being sent to landfill. Containers of rubbish loaded at Powderhall were transported by the 'Binliner' to Oxwellmains for disposal. This flow has ceased.

A modern signal box was opened in 1964, replacing an older one from 1897. The new box closed in 1977 but still stands.

Local

This was the site of the Battle of Dunbar in 1650.


Tags

Sidings cement works

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map