This pier is located in the south of Oban Bay, a large natural anchorage protected from the west by the island of Kerrera. It was opened in 1880 along with Oban station by the Callander and Oban Railway. With the opening of the extension from Dalmally and the pier the railway was able to connect with ferry services to the West Coast of Scotland and the fishing fleet. The opening largely replaced the existing Oban North Pier, also known as the town pier, and Oban South Pier.
To build the pier there was considerable land reclamation. In addition to the Oban passenger station there were quayside lines and a goods shed.
The pier was expanded in 1903 for the opening of extra platforms associated with the new Ballachulish Branch (Callander and Oban Railway).
In recent years the ferry terminal has been replaced with a new building and railway track cut back to the Oban passenger station and a few sidings.
Caledonian MacBrayne operate ferry services to a number of locations.
Achnacroish Pier (Lismore), Castlebay Pier, Craignure Pier, Coll Ferry Terminal, Colonsay Pier, Kennacraig, Lochboisdale Pier, Mallaig Pier, Port Askaig, Tiree Pier
Caledonian MacBrayne - Oban
Falls of Cruachan
| Lochavullin Goods|
Oban Oil Depot Ground Frame
Oban Hills Hydropathic Sanatorium
Northern Lighthouse Board Pier
Oban North Pier
Oban War and Peace Museum
St Columba's Cathedral
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|