Nigg

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Nigg (1864-1960)

Opened on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway.

Description

This was a single platform station. It was located at a level crossing with the B9175, the road to the Nigg Ferry for Cromarty.

The platform was on the south / east side of the line. The station building still stands, in use as a house. There was a signal box next to the level crossing on the station platform.

There was a goods yard at the south end, east side of the line, approached from the south.

The station closed to passengers in 1960. The sidings were taken out in 1962.

Nigg House is about four miles to the south.

Local

The ferry is about five miles to the south of the former station. <

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
11/09/2019


Books


Highland Railway (Railway History)

Highland Railway (The David & Charles series)

Highland Railway Album

Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail

Highland Survivor

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Highland Railway