Muirkirk West Signal Box (-)
Muirkirk No 1 Signal Box [GSW] (-1956)
Opened on the Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This signal box was west of Muirkirk [1st] station. It controlled the western approach to the station, goods yard and Muirkirk Shed. It also controlled access to the private line running from the station round the north side of the box to Kames Colliery and on to pits at Wellwood. The box was west of the station and on the north side of the main line.
The station was moved east to Muirkirk [2nd] in 1896. The connection for the Kames Colliery was also moved east, connecting to the iron works branch. The box was renamed Muirkirk No 1.
With the closure for passengers to the west in 1951 and singling of the railway in 1956 the no 1 box closed.
The line remained open to Muirkirk until 1969 for the Kames Colliery.
The location is now the Kames Watersport Complex.
Other railway and industry locations
Muirkirk No 1 Signal Box [GSW]
Kaimes Branch Junction
Muirkirk No 2 Signal Box [GSW]
Muirkirk Iron Works
Muirkirk Tar Works
Muirkirk GSW and CR Junction
Bankend Pit (Limestone)
Wellwood No 1. Pit
Kaimes Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|