This was a passing loop between Pitlochry station (to the north) and the former Killiecrankie station to the south. To the south is Moulinearn Level Crossing.
The loop had two signal boxes, one at either end on the west side of the line. Both opened in 1897, just in advance of the new Direct Line route, north of Aviemore.
The north box closed in 1911 when taken over by the south box.
The south box closed, with the loop, in 1928.
The loop was reinstated for the Second World War in 1942. There was a single box.
The new box closed in 1947 and the loop closed again.
The line remains open as a single track main line.
Dunkeld and Birnam
Black Island Platform
| Ballinluig Viaduct|
Blair Athol Distillery
Pitlochry Festival Theatre
Pitlochry Fish Ladder
Linn of Tummel Waterfall
St Mary's Church Grandtully
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2