Meadows Box [1st] (1912-1916)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This box was located on the west side of Seafield Road Level Crossing (then called Seafield Crossing), on the north side of the line and backing onto the beach.
(The opening date of 1912 seems unlikely - the box is shown on the OS maps of 1896 and 1908.)
On opening, the Leith branch was single track. The Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) line however was double track to both the line to the docks and to the town.
The box here dated from doubling of the NBR line. It was rather short lived as with the opening of Leith Edinburgh Dock in 1888 and Leith Imperial Dock in 1898 (opened particularly for coal export) the lines would need more capacity. Further, the increasingly busy level crossing at Seafield Crossing was a bottleneck.
In 1916 the Lothian Lines (North British Railway) opened here. The location became more complicated. See [Meadows Box [2nd] ]].
Easter Road Park Halt
Leith Walk [CR]
Other railway and industry locations
Meadows Box [1st]
Meadows Box [2nd]
Seafield Level Crossing
Seafield Junction [CR]
Seafield Road Junction
Craigentinny Meadows Box
Leith South Turntable [NB]
Leith South Yard
Seafield Shed [CR]
Seafield Yard [CR]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route