Maudlands Level Crossings (1840-1885)
Opened on the Preston and Wyre Railway, Dock and Harbour.
Opened on the Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway.
This was a pair of railway flat crossings immediately north of Fylde Junction.
The OS map of 1849 shows both crossings intact.
The first, going north, was where the Preston and Wyre Railway, Dock and Harbour ran from the west to reach its terminus at Maudlands [P&WR] which was just to the east of the level crossing. It crossed the Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway on the level on the final approach to the terminus. This was a double line crossing a double line. This closed to passengers in 1844 and continued longer for goods.
The second was where the Preston, Fleetwood and West Riding Railway from the east crossed the Lancaster and Preston Railway to join the Preston and Wyre Railway, Dock and Harbour immediately west of the level crossing. This was a single line crossing the double Lancaster line. This closed with the opening of a more useful east to south curve in 1885.
Maudlands [P and WR]
Preston [Maxwell House]
Preston Fishergate Hill
Penwortham Cop Lane
Todd Lane Junction
Other railway and industry locations
Fylde Road Viaduct
Dock Street Sidings
Green Bank Goods
Dock Street Junction
Strand Road Junction
Strand Road Exchange Sidings
Butler Street Goods
Preston South Junction
Strand Road Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|