Lugar Ironworks Junction (1848-1976)
Opened on the Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
Opened on the Lugar Ironworks Railway.
This junction was east of Lugar station. The Lugar Ironworks was reached by reversal from sidings just to the east, on the south side of the line. The branch ran south west and then south to the works via Rose Junction. The reversal sidings, Cronberry Sidings Nos 1,2,3, may have originally been looped with their east end at Cronberry Pits No 1,2,3 Signal Box.
The branch to the iron works was originally Glasgow and South Western Railway owned, according to the Airey railway map.
Just to the east of the junction, and west of the station, a branch of the Lugar Ironworks Railway passed underneath the main line. This opened after 1848.
The iron works closed in 1928 and became workshops for the mines.
The line, and branch, closed in 1976.
The trackbed and junction can still be seen. The trackbed can be walked.
Other railway and industry locations
Cronberry Nos 1,2,3 Sidings
Braehead Pit No 6
Cronberry No 1,2,3 Pits Signal Box
Cronberry No 4 Pit Signal Box
Braehead Pits Nos 4 and 5
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|