Lower Port Glasgow Siding (1869-1913)
Opened on the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway.
This siding was also known as Devol Glen Quarry siding and Gibbshill Siding. The siding was on the south side of the line, approached from the west, with Giibshill Signal Box on the north side of the line. Devol Glen Quarry was to the south of the siding.
The box closed around 1913.
The Devol Glen Viaduct was to the west.
Despite the name 'Lower Port Glasgow' the siding was above the town, Port Glasgow station on the parallel Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway being much lower down closer to the River Clyde.
The railway, the Greenock and Ayrshire Railway, was singled in 1959 when closed to regular passenger traffic. The westbound line was retained.
The railway closed in 1966.
The trackbed is now a footpath.
Upper Port Glasgow
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Other railway and industry locations
Lower Port Glasgow Siding
Devol Glen Quarry
Devol Glen Viaduct
Wemyss Bay Junction
Scott Lithgow Shipbuilders
Port Glasgow Graving Dock
Port Glasgow West Dock
Port Glasgow East Dock
Port Glasgow Harbour
Port Glasgow Wet Dock
Dock Shipbuilding Yard
Gourock Rope Works
Inchgreen Gas Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Legends of the Glasgow and South Western Railway in the L.M.S.Days
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History