Longniddry Manure Siding (1847-1960)
Served by the North British Railway.
This short siding was on the north side of the line, west of Longniddry station. It was accessed by reversal.
Horse dung from the streets of Edinburgh was transported here for agricultural use.
Alternative names are; The Dung Lye, West Seton Mains Manure Siding. Railway Clearing House maps call it either Longniddry Manure or West Siding.
The siding is lifted (date uncertain) and now borders new housing.
Seton Mains Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Longniddry Manure Siding
St Germains Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Drem to Edinburgh: Including Gullane, Haddington, Tranent, Musselburgh and Fisherrow Branches (Scottish Main Lines)
Edinburgh St. Margaret's: The Story of the 'Other' Edinburgh Depot of the North British Railway 1845-1967
Exploring Disused Railways in East Scotland
Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1
|LNER Wagons: Volume 3: Scottish Area: Ex North British and Ex-Great North of Scotland Railway Wagons|
North British Railway in Northumberland, The
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
Signalling and Signal Boxes along the North British Railway, Great North of Scotland Railway and the CLC Routes
South East Scotland (British Railways Past & Present)
The Castle and the Bear: A Brief History of the North British Railway
The North British Railway a History
|The North British Railway, Volume 1, One,|
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Vanished Railways of West Lothian