Lochluichart [2nd]

Location type


Name and dates

Lochluichart [2nd] (1880-1954)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Where: Highland
Opened on the Dingwall and Skye Railway.


This was a single platform station with a small building and small goods yard. This station replaced a private halt Lochluichart [1st] which was closer to Lochluichart Lodge and to the east. The station closed when Loch Luichart was damned for a hydroscheme and replaced by a new station just to the north, Lochluichart.

The station had a platform on the north side of the line and a goods loading bank to the east. There was a station building and railway cottage just to the north. There was a signal box, from 1893.

The station was a little west of the loch, before the hydroscheme, with a level crossing for the road which ran south to Mossford Farm.

The water level was to rise with the hydroscheme so a portion of the line was re-aligned to the north. This included the station and, to the west, a bridge over the River Conon. The Mossford Farm was lost to the rising water.

The original alignment closed in 1954.

The goods loading bank can still be found and the choked and overgrown site of the passenger platform. The station building and cottage are gone. The trackbed can be followed in both directions, it is usually above the water level.


Station hydroscheme

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67


Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: Skye Railway v. 5

Rails to Kyle of Lochalsh: Story of the Dingwall and Skye Railway Including the Strathpeffer Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History)

The Dingwall & Skye Railway: A Pictorial Record of the Line to Kyle of Lochalsh

The Highland Railway

The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2

The Kyle Line: An Illustrated History and Guide

The Kyle of Lochalsh Line: Great Railway Journeys Through Time