Linwood Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Linwood Junction

Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.


This was the junction for the Linwood Branch Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway). The branch was approached from the east. There was a signal box on the north side of the junction and looped exchange sidings laid on the north side of the main line in the 'V' of the junction. A mile of the branch belonged to the G&SWR.

The single track branch left the main line to run north west to Linelive Pit and Candren Pit, both also known as Douglas pits.

The junction box was reduced to a ground frame in 1908 and closed in 1934. (Intriguingly the 1897 OS map shows two boxes with a second signal box on the south side of the line further to the west, perhaps the box was replaced.)

The junction was taken out around 1938.

The branch remained partially open as the Walkinshaw Brick Works (and Inkerman Oil Works), accessed from the Gourock line, and its associated mineral lines interlinked with the line.

The main line remains open but nothing remains to be seen of the junction and subsequent house building has covered the nearer part of the branch's route.