Limefield Junction (1871-1962)
Opened on the Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Addiewell Loop (Caledonian Railway).
This was the eastern end of the 1871 Addiewell Loop (Caledonian Railway) (or West Calder loop). The loop was on the north side of the 1869 Cleland and Midcalder Line (Caledonian Railway). Approach to the single track loop was from the east. There were several sidings in the 'V' of the junction. The signal box was on the north side of the junction. The loop was to serve several works and sidings including the Breich Oil Works and Westwood Oil Works.
Just to the west on the main line was Hermand Sdiing, the junction for the Hermand Branch which ran south and was accessed from the west. This ran south through the Hermand estate to the Hermand Oil Works.
The loop line was cut back to the Westwood Oil Works in the 1950s. It closed in 1962. The signal box closed in 1964.
The main line remains open, a double track electrified line.
Other railway and industry locations
Hermand Oil Works
Westwood Oil works
Breich Oil Works
Burngrange Shale Mine Pit No 39
Addiewell Chemical Works
Addiewell Oil Works Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|