Opened on the Leslie Railway.
This was a single platform terminus.
The platform was on the north, ie town, side of the station yard. To the south was the goods shed and beyond that the goods yard, all approached from the south east over the Leslie Viaduct.
Fettykill Paper Mill, the connection for which was immediately west of the viaduct, was served by trains from Markinch by reversing at the station and running to the paper mill. By the junction was a small exchange yard, approached from the station.
The signal box was at the station throat, on the south side of the line. It opened in 1891 and closed in 1926 when the line became worked as one-engine-in-steam. The station closed to passengers in 1932 and remained open to goods until 1967.
Most the station site has now been built over. The site of the exchange yard remains clear.
Glenrothes with Thornton
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Other railway and industry locations
Fettykill Paper Mill
Auchmuty Paper Mill
Rothes Paper Mill
Thornton Yard Tower
Dogton Colliery Signal Box
Thornton Junction TMD
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|