Langloan East Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Langloan East Junction (1871-1984)

Opened on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway.

Opened on the Langloan Railway.


This was a junction on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway controlled by a signal box on the east side of the line.

To the west was the approach to the Langloan Railway (serving Langloan Iron Works) and Coatbridge Canal Goods, both approached from the south. Both were approached from the south. The original approach to the Langloan Railway had been from the north, modified to be from the south when the line north to Coatbridge Central [NB] was lifted up onto an embankment.

To the east was the Sheepford Branch (Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway). This was approached from the north. This connection to the branch was also opened when the line north was lifted onto an embankment and the former approach to the branch from the north taken out. The North British Iron Works was just to the east, accessed from the branch.

On the west side was the Stobcross Rivet Bolt and Nut Works, approached from the south by sidings a little to the south of the Langloan Railway junction.

The layout was altered over the years. In 1906 the signal box was replaced.

The signal box closed in 1973 and the line was singled.

The Sheepford Branch closed in 1984.

The line remains open as a plain single track. It was electrified around 1988.



External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67