Kirknewton [NER] (1887-1930)
Opened on the Cornhill Branch (North Eastern Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
A single platform station with the platform on a passing loop. The platform was on the south (Kirknewton) side of the station with a goods yard at the west end of the station, approached from the east via the west end of the loop line.
There was a stone built two storey station building, typical of the line, at the west end of the platform and a largely timber on a brick base signal box at the east end. A railway cottage was by the road to the south of the station just south of the goods yard.
Following closure to passengers in 1930 the loop was lifted and a track retained next to the passenger platform which became slowly overgrown
The line closed in 1965.
The station building (now a house), signal box and railway cottage remain standing. The platform remains.
Kirknewton itself, a small village, was just to the south east.
To the west the line crossed the College Burn. To the east was a level crossing with its own signal box Kirknewton Crossing [NER].
Ford Forge Mill
Other railway and industry locations
Kirknewton Crossing [NER]
West Learmouth Viaduct
Haugh Head Crossing
Bendor Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|