Kirkintilloch Foundry (1830-1890)
Served by the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).
This foundry was established on the south bank of the Forth and Clyde Canal, on the west side of the aqueduct over the River Luggie. The works opened in the 1830s just as railways were becoming established and made castings for the railway industry.
After the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) opened in 1848 the works were served by a siding from the branch. This siding ran south from the line, on its west side, just to the south of where the line crossed under the Forth and Clyde Canal aqueduct and over the River Luggie.
The foundry closed in the 1890s. It subsequently became McNeill's Lion Brand Roofing and Dry Hair Felt. A narrow gauge tramway ran south from the works over the Luggie to a tip on the west side of the railway.
The aqueduct over the River Luggie remains in use today. The former railway trackbed is now a footpath.
The Luggie has been diverted to the south, now taking a course futher east, to allow the A806 to be built. These works obliterated the route of the railway which survived as a landscaped path after closure.
Back O Loch Halt
Milton of Campsie
Bridgend [M and K]
Other railway and industry locations
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [1st]
South Bank Iron Works
J and J Hay Shipyard
Basin Iron Foundry
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [2nd]
Kirkintilloch Precast Cement Works
Kirkintilloch Nickel Works
Woodilee Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Whitegates Level Crossing
Meiklehill Colliery Quay
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|