Kershopefoot

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Kershopefoot (1862-1969)

Opened on the Border Union Railway (North British Railway).


Description

This was a two platform with timber platforms, small timber shelters and a level crossing at the north end. The single storey station house and offices were on the east side of the station, stone built. Not far to the north was the official Scotland/England Border of the line (two others existed south of Riddings Junction close to Liddel Strength).

There were sidings on the west side, south of the station, approached by reversal. In the initial layout these were approached from the south with a loop on the west side.

The name was sometimes rendered Kershope Foot.

To the west a ford through the Liddel Water approached the station, the same road also approaching from high ground to the east. The originally passed under the line until the road bridge over the Liddel was built.

Riddings Junction to Kershopefoot doubled in 1862. Kershopefoot to Riccarton Junction doubled in 1863. (The arrangement when the station had a loop can be seen in the 1866 OS map).

A lime quarry and limekilns opened next to the railway on its east side. Prior to this lime was delivered by rail.

The signal box (south of level crossing, east side of line) was replaced in 1915 (west side of line, also at level crossing).

Platforms were rebuilt in concrete panels.

The station closed to goods in 1964 and with the line in 1969, the box lasting to the end.

After closure the site was cleared. Very little now remains, except the trackbed which is a dirt road. The station house to the east also still stands, in use as a house.


Tags

Station border crossing

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map