Inveresk

Location type

Station


Names and dates

Musselburgh [1st] (1846-1847)
Inveresk (1847-1876)
Inveresk Junction (1876-1890)
Inveresk (1890-1964)

Opened on the North British Railway.

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.


Description

This was a two platform station with the platforms passing under Carberry Road. The main station building was on the eastbound platform with a waiting room on the westbound. The signal box was at the west end of the westbound platform (it closed in 1924).

The station was about a mile south of Musselburgh itself. A more suitably sited station, Musselburgh [2nd], opened in 1847.

The goods yard was on the north side, approached by a long reversing spur leading off the eastbound platform. A long siding also existed on the south side, approached from Monktonhall Junction.

The line remains open but no trace of the station remains, except in the alignment of Carberry Grove, formerly the goods yard.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map