Howes

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Howes (1831-1843)

Opened on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway.

Description

This was a stopping place for passengers and junction on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. It was located to the south of Gartsherrie Road, near the junction with Hornock Road, and north of the Gartsherrie branch of the Monkland Canal. It was more or less where the later opened line west to Glasgow High Street was built.

This was not a station in the modern sense, merely a place where a passenger train could pause (more akin to a bus stop) and possibly without an exactly fixed location or any facilities. It was also known as The Howes or South End (the name of a house on the south side of Gartsherrie Road). The oldest part of the Gartsherrie Iron Works was not far away to the north, across the road.

The junction was between the main line of the M&K, running north-south, and its Kipps branch to the east. Additionally it was the start of the sidings to the coal drops on Howes Basin.

The line approaching Howes had a gentle gradient and with increasingly heavy trains since the opening of the Wishaw and Coltness Railway the Howes Incline was equipped with a stationary engine in 1836. The engine was only used for a few years and survived, out of use, until 1859.

The stopping place was also short lived, only in operation until the early 1840s.

With the opening of the Hornock Deviation (Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway), to the east, the line south of Gartsherrie Road was severed and lifted through to Sunnyside. The Howes junction was replaced by a new junction at Sunnyside on the deviation.

As a result of the opening of the line west to Glasgow High Street the site came into use again and Sunnyside Junction was laid out at its present site.

Tags

Station

Aliases

South End,The Howes
04/12/2020