Glenfoot Viaduct

Location type

Bridge

Name and dates

Glenfoot Viaduct (1851-1973)

Opened on the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway.

Description

This double track lattice viaduct was west of Tillicoultry.

The original viaduct was directly alongside, to the north. Glenfoot station, a temporary terminus, was opened to the south west while the first viaduct was completed.

The approaches to the original viaduct remained after the bridge was replaced, there was a notable widening of the embankments.

There were three lattice girder spans. The piers were strengthened with rails bracing.

The line was singled before closure, the westbound line being lifted.

The piers of the viaduct remains, the metalwork was scrapped. The embankment approaching from the west has been levelled.

Alternative name; Tillicoultry Viaduct.

Tags

Viaduct

Aliases

Tillicoultry Viaduct

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map