Georgetown [NFF] (1916-1918)
Opened on the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This Great War period station was built to serve the Georgetown National Filling Factory, to the west. The station was south of Southbar Junction and Georgetown National Filling Factory Yard on a loop line on the west side of the main line. To the south was Houston station.
The initial layout was a single platform on the west side of the loop. Covered walkways ran from the station to offices and factory buildings. These were buildings in the No 1 factory site which were built in 1915 and opened in 1916.
With the opening of No 2 factory, further west and over the Dungavel Burn, the station was expanded. A second, island, platform was added on the east side. This served the southbound main line and its second face served a loop on the east side of the line. Carriage sidings were added at the north end of the island.
The temporary station closed in or after 1918.
The site was revived during the Second World War, the Georgetown National Filling Factory site being used for storage. For this the station did not re-open.
Paisley St James
Other railway and industry locations
Georgetown Filling Factory Yard
Southbar Siding (East)
Georgetown Filling Factory
Walkinshaw No 2 Mine
Inchinnan Airship Constructional Station
ROF Bishopton Yard
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|