Etterby Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Etterby Junction (1874-)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


Description

This junction is north of the Eden Viaduct [Etterby]. It opened in 1874 when the main Caledonian Railway shed for Carlisle relocated further north.

With the preparations for the opening of the Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee) the northern approach in Carlisle was largely rebuilt. The shed closed around 1876/7 and was replaced with the new Kingmoor Shed at Etterby.

The box was on west side, and shed on east side and to its north. The northern approach to the shed was controlled from Kingmoor Junction. There were sidings on either side of the main line too, those of the west side approached form the north and those on the east approached from the south.

In 1943 additional goods lines were added on the west side of the existing lines, the southern end of these being at Port Carlisle Junction. This was an extension of the Carlisle goods lines north to Kingmoor where further goods sidings were laid. The new lines ran through the site of the existing Etterby box which was replaced with a new box.

The box closed in 1963, replaced by Kingmoor Power Box.

Kingmoor Shed closed and was replaced by Kingmoor MPD in 1968. The shed was to close in 1987 and reopened in 1998 as Kingmoor TMD.

02/08/2019

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map