Eldin Chemical Works

Location type

Works


Name and dates

Eldin Chemical Works

Served by the Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway.


Description

This was a small paraffin works on the east side of Edinburgh, Loanhead and Roslin Railway at Edgefield east of Straiton. It was served by a siding on the east side of the line, approached from the south. This siding was the Edgefield Siding which also served the Edgefield Candle Works, to the south of the oil works.

Initially called the Eldin Oil Works it was owned by Handasyde, Brydone, & Co. Later it was the Eldin Chemcial Works owned by Handasyde, Gill, & Co.

To the west, just a little north, was the junction for the Straiton Oil Works and Pentland Oil Works, the branch approached from the north and running west. By the junction were the Straiton Sidings.

The siding was removed by the late 1960.

The oil works site is now the Eldin Industrial Estate.


Tags

Oil chemical

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map
NLS Map