Edendon Signal Box (1942-1951)
Opened on the Inverness and Perth Junction Railway.
This wartime signal box split the section between Dalnaspidal and Dalanraoch Signal Box [2nd] (the Dalanraoch box was relocated east to, when combined with Edendon, increase line capacity for additional wartime traffic). It was a traditionally styled signal box and was located on the south side of the line with the River Garry behind and below it.
Near the site of the box the line, just to the east, crosses from the north bank of the River Garry to the south bank.
The line was reduced to a single track in 1966 but restored to double track in 1978 and remains open.
The box was named for the Edendon Water, a water course which approaches from the north to join the River Garry at Edendon Bridge.
Black Island Platform
Other railway and industry locations
Edendon Signal Box
Dalnacardoch Ground Frame
Dalanraoch Signal Box [1st]
Dalanraoch Signal Box [2nd]
Black Tank Siding Signal Box
County March Signal Box [Highland Main Line]
Glas Mheall Mor
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2