This reservoir, just north of Milngavie, provides drinking water for Glasgow. It is connected to Loch Katrine by a long distance pipeline, duplicating the existing pipeline which supplied the existing Mugdock Reservoir (directly to the west).
Acts were passed in 1882 and 1885 for the Water Commissioners to build the reservoir. The engineer was James M Gale.
In 1876 the building contractors Morrison & Mason (John Morrison & Thomas Mason) bought a standard gauge 0-4-0ST locomotive from Barclays & Co^s River Bank Engine Works. This was used at Craigmaddie Reservoir. The date is interesting, being before the reservoir was built, the Mugdock Tunnel was built in 1886. Spares for the locomotive were needed in 1894 which, judging by the rough nature of the temporary lines laid, is not surprising.
The reservoir came into use in 1896.
| Allander Print Works|
Ellangowan Paper Mill
Allander Sports Centre
Burnbrae Dye Works
Blairskaith Limestone Mine
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|