This reservoir was opened just north of Milngavie in 1859 by Glasgow Corporation as part of a scheme to supply water to Glasgow from Loch Katrine.
The works were on a grand scale, this reservoir, alterations made to Loch Katrine and the pipeline are all built to last. The 34 mile pipeline running north features bridges which have much in common with railway bridges and could be easily mistaken for them, such as the bridges near the former Balfron station.
Craigmaddie Reservoir was opened to the east in 1901 and a second parallel pipe to Loch Katrine built.
| Ellangowan Paper Mill|
Burnbrae Dye Works
Blairskaith Limestone Mine
Mugdock Country Park Visitors Centre
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|