Cassillis

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Cassillis (1858-1954)

Opened on the Ayr and Maybole Railway.


Description

This was originally a single platform station. The goods yard was at the north end, west side of the line and approached from the north.

When the line was doubled around 1894 the existing platform became the northbound platform and a second platform was added. The main station building remained on the northbound platform, rebuilt around 1900. The goods yard was enlarged.

The passenger station closed in 1954. The signal box closed in 1961. The building remains in use as a house. The line was singled in 1973.

To the north the line crosses the River Doon.


Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map