Cartside Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Cartside Junction (1896-1957)


Description

This junction was immediately west of Cart Junction on the North Johnstone Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway). This was junction for the Johnstone Gas Works, Cartside Mineral Depot and Union Iron Works. These sidings were on the south side of the line and served from the east.

There was a signal box, briefly, between 1896 and 1905 for the sidings. The branch was replaced by the Kilbarchan loop in 1905 and no longer carried passengers, being retained as a goods loop between the west end of Johnstone North [2nd] station and Cart Junction.

The loop closed around 1957. The sidings closed in 1965.

The site of the junction is now a road in an industrial estate.


Tags

Junction