Carstairs Sand Pit Signal Box (1899-1933)
Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
This signal box was west of Carstairs station close to the later site of Ravenstruther Coal Terminal (just to its east). Sidings on the north side of the line were served from the east.
The sand pit opened in 1899 and closed in 1933.
There was a second sand pit nearby closer to the station, north of Carstairs No 1 Signal Box.
Other railway and industry locations
Carstairs Sand Pit Signal Box
Carstairs No 1 Signal Box
Silvermuir East Junction
Silvermuir South Junction
Carstairs South Junction
Carstairs East Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian