This signal box was west of Carstairs station, controlling sidings on either side of the line west to Glasgow. The box was on the north side of the line with a tramway to a sand pit running behind it to the north.
Single ended sidings on the north side of the line ran west from the box.
Further sidings run east on the south side of the line. These became the engineers' sidings just west of the station (not longer in use).
The box was renamed around 1902 during the reconstruction of Carstairs station. Boxes around the station were numbered rather than continue to be named for their geographical location, which were not always particularly helpful.
In preparation for electrification the box closed in 1972 when taken over by a short lived panel box before control passed to the Motherwell Signalling Centre.
| Sand Pit|
Carstairs East Junction
Carstairs South Junction
Carstairs Sand Pit Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian