Cairn Valley Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Cairn Valley Junction (1905-1949)

Opened on the Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railway.
Opened on the Cairn Valley Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway).

Description

This was the junction for the Cairn Valley Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway) about 1 and 3/4 miles north of Dumfries. The branch was a single track 'light' railway.

The connection was a single lead junction with a siding on the branch.

A temporary connection made in 1903 allowed construction and a permanent signal box opened on the west side of the junction in 1905.

The line closed to passengers in 1943 and completely in 1949. The box closed in 1953 on completion of line dismantling.

The main line remains open. The junction can still be discerned although the branch has been partly landscaped.

Tags

Junction


Dates

03/05/1943Cairn Valley Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Moniave to Dumfries (Cairn Valley Junction) closed to passengers.
04/07/1949Cairn Valley Light Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Moniave to Dumfries (Cairn Valley Junction) closed to freight.

Books


An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways

The Cairn Valley Light Railway: Moniaive to Dumfries (Locomotion Papers)

The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History

The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History