Beasdale No 118 Tunnel

Location type

Tunnel

Name and dates

Beasdale No 118 Tunnel (1901-)

Opened on the Mallaig Extension (West Highland Railway).

Description

This is a single track 192 yard long tunnel. It is west of Loch nan Uamh No 117 Tunnel and just south of Beasdale No 119 Tunnel.

Local

Princes Charles Edward Stuart left Scotland from the shore of Loch nan Uamh in 1746 after the unsuccessful Jacobite uprising. The The Prince's Cairn was built in 1956 by the 1745 Association. The cairn is just to the south of the tunnel, the shoreline where the cairn is can be seen when approaching the tunnel from the east (often through trees!). See also Glenfinnan Monument.

Tags

Tunnel 06/01/2019

Books

All Stations to Mallaig!: West Highland Line Since Nationalisation
History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: West Highland Railway v. 1

History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands: West Highland Railway v. 1

Iron Road to the Isles: A Travellers and Tourist Guide to the West Highland Lines

Iron Roads to the Isles: A Travellers and Tourists Souvenir Guide to the West Highland Lines

On West Highland Lines

Railway World Special: West Highland Lines

Rannan Rathad Iarainn nan Eilean =: The West Highland Line
The Mallaig Railway: The West Highland Extension 1897-1901 (RCAHMS Broadsheet)
The Story of the West Highland

The Story of the West Highland: The 1940s LNER Guide to the Line

The West Highland Mallaig Extension in B.R.Days

The West Highland Railway

The West Highland Railway (Railways of the Scottish Highlands)

The West Highland Railway 120 Years

Walks from the West Highland Railway (Cicerone Guide)

West Highland Extension: Great Railway Journeys Through Time

West Highland Railway
West Highland Railway (History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands v. 1): West Highland Railway v. 1