This junction opened around 1906 in connection with the sinking of Barony Colliery Pits Nos 1,2,3,4. The signal box was replaced with a permanent box in 1916 on the east side of the line. The branch was approached from the north and there were exchange sidings for the Barony Colliery Railway in the ^V^ of the junction.
The colliery was rebuilt around 1953 when a power station was built alongside, to the west, burning coal slurry from the colliery.
The power station closed in 1982.
The junction box closed in 1986.
The colliery closed in 1989.
Mossgiel Tunnel Platform
| Barony Power Station|
Barony Colliery Pits Nos 1,2,3,4
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 4
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 1
Muirkirk Junction Shed
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 2
Gilmilnscroft Colliery Pit No 3
Dumfries House [House]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|