Bankhead [Lanarkshire] (1867-1945)
Opened on the Dolphinton Branch (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a small station south of Bankhead farm and a mile south of Carnwath at a very rural farmed location. The station had a single, short, platform on the north side of the single track line. There was a goods yard to the north, approached from the east, equipped with a single siding with a loop.
The line was on a raised embankment and the platform, with small building, was located to the east, at the point of divergence of the goods siding.
From 1887 there was a signal box, closed 1934 when the line became one-engine-in-steam. The box was effectively a fringe box for the busy line around Carstairs.
Later a railway cottage was provided, north of the line and by the road bridge (the line crossed over Biggar Road) to the west of the station.
The station closed in 1945 and line in 1950.
Today the railway cottage remains, and the abutments of the former bridge over the road. The station site has been built over.
Other railway and industry locations
Pettinain Signal Box
Carstairs South Junction
Carstairs East Junction
Carstairs No 1 Signal Box
Leggatfoot Signal Box
Carstairs Sand Pit Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Border Country Branch Line Album
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Old Carnwath: Including Braehead, Dolphinton, Dunsyre, Elsrickle, Kaimend, Libberton, Newbigging and Walston