This 1942 wartime signal box controlled a loop on the single track 6 mile section between Kingussie (to the south west) and Kincraig (to the north east). The box was about midway, a little closer to Kingussie around the 2.5 miles north. A siding had been installed here in 1904.
The box was built in brick with a roof sloping back to the rear of the structure.
The box was closed after the war in 1947.
The railway is open, back to being a plain single track again.
Balavil Gate Lodge remains here, built for the level crossing with a dirt road between Balavil House and the River Spey.
Boat of Garten
Ballifurth Farm Halt
| Kingussie Shed|
Spey Viaduct [Newtonmore]
Ralia Ballast Siding
Speyside Distillery [1st]
Highland Folk Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2