Opened on the Caledonian Railway.
This was a railway staff and families halt north of Beattock. There was a signal box here, initially called 'Longbedholm', on the west side of the line alongside a trailing crossover.
The staff halt opened around 1900. It was served by the carriage which ran from Beattock Summit and also served Greskine Signal Box and other lineside locations with railway cottages.
The signal box was replaced in 1918. The halt closed in 1926 although the service for railway staff continued until around 1966.
The box closed in 1939.
Auchencastle House is to the west of the site.
Other railway and industry locations
Greskine Signal Box
Murthat Signal Box
Harthope Signal Box
Elvan Water Viaduct
Gray Mare^s Tail Waterfalls
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian