Ardmore East Signal Box (1943-1976)
Opened on the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway.
This wartime signal box, of 1943, was north of Ardmore Level Crossing and located on the west side of the railway. The box controlled the approach to the south end of Ardmore Yard, associated with Faslane Military Port.
The box replaced the box at Ardmore Level Crossing.
The box was modernised for the electrification of the line in 1960. The yard, in reduced form, surviving for some time afterwards. The box closed in 1976.
Greenock Cathcart Street [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [1st]
Greenock Princes Pier [2nd]
Other railway and industry locations
Ardmore East Signal Box
Ardmore West Signal Box
Craigendoran East Yard
Cardross Saw Mill
Ardmore Level Crossing
Moss Road Level Crossing
Geilston Farm Level Crossing
St Mahew^s Chapel
Cardross Fish Yair
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
Glasgow Railway Memories
Glasgow's Last Days of Steam
Rails Around Glasgow
The Railways of Glasgow: Post-Beeching
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)