Alton Heights Junction Sidings (1883-1954)
Opened on the Muirkirk and Lesmahagow Junction Railway.
In 1883, with the opening of Alton Heights Junction, a siding was placed on either side of the new route south to Poneil Junction.
These sidings were greatly expanded with the addition of a series of dead end sidings on the west side of the line in 1905. These were approached from the junction and on the west side of the Poneil Junction route.
The sidings were lifted with closure of the junction and line to Poneil in 1954, although the box survived as it controlled a passing loop.
The timber buffers can be found at the site of the sidings.
Other railway and industry locations
Alton Heights Junction
Auldton Lime Works
Lintfield Bank Siding
Auchlochan Nos 9 and 10 Collieries
Bellfield Colliery Pit No 3
Auchlochan No 2 Colliery
Bellfield Colliery Pit No 4
Auchlochan Nos 6 and 7 Collieries
Poniel Coal Pit No 1
Auchren Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|