12 Images released on Monday 19/10/2020

Contact the news and picture editor.

Georgemas Junction: Close up of the wagon loading equipment in use for the trial timber trains at Georgemas Junction, seen on 4th August 2020.

Sutherland and Caithness Railway
Victa Railfreight [04/08/2020]


Monkton Combe: Titfield Thunderbolt fans will undoubtedly recognize this bridge, where the A36 Warminster Road crosses over the Cam Valley line [for an opposed view, see image 38807]. This part of the trackbed belongs to Monkton Combe school, who can close it using the pair of 5-bar gates just visible in front of the bridge.

Cam Valley Line (Great Western Railway)
Ken Strachan [26/09/2020]


Didcot Parkway: Arriva Cross Country units, Manchester bound, at Didcot on 7th October 2020. The heavy outside frame (de-activated) tilting bogie of 221139 is very different to the lightweight one under 220008.

Great Western Railway
Peter Todd [07/10/2020]


Crooklands Wharf: An extract from the 1896 OS 6-inch map showing the route of the Gatebeck Tramway around Crooklands, then in Westmorland. The line from Milnthorpe comes in left alongside the road from Milnthorpe. The canal siding here is Wakefield's Wharf and then the tramway crosses the canal diagonally before running down to several further sidings at Crooklands Wharf. From here it swings to follow the Peasey Beck up the valley to Gatebeck Powder Works, with a siding serving Crooklands Mill. The horse drawn tramway closed with the Powder Works in 1937. Added by Mark Bartlett. Reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland http://maps.nls.uk/index.html

Gatebeck Tramway
National Library of Scotland [//1896]


Kintore: A traditional station sign under the new Kintore footbridge in October 2020.

Great North of Scotland Railway
John Yellowlees [15/10/2020]


Crooklands Wharf: Bridge 166, on the Northern Reaches of the Lancaster Canal, carries the B6385 road from Milnthorpe to Crooklands. Alongside the road, all the way from Milnthorpe station, ran the Gatebeck Tramway but it diverged at this point to cross the canal on a diagonal and the abutments for this old bridge are still in place. The horse drawn 3ft 6in tramway ran for 3.5 miles from Gatebeck Powder Works to wharves on the canal, and a secure warehouse at Milnthorpe station goods yard, but closed with the works in 1937.

Gatebeck Tramway
Mark Bartlett [11/10/2020]


Colinton Tunnel: Not just murals inside Colinton Tunnel but also outside too. This is the approach to the north portal in August 2020.

Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway)
John Yellowlees [15/08/2020]


Filey Holiday Camp: A picture of desolation at the abandoned Filey Holiday Camp station in October 2009. The view back along platforms 1 and 2 towards the concourse provides a poignant contrast with the scene on the same platforms 32 years earlier - see image [[74580]].

Filey Holiday Camp (London and North Eastern Railway)
John Furnevel [11/10/2009]


Eastfield MPD: A model of a GWR 0-6-0PT works a push-pull service on a short length of track at Eastfield MPD during an Open Day on 16 September 1972.

Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway
John McIntyre [16/09/1972]


Tynehead: The view south at Tynehead on 12 April 2013 following tree clearance activity along this section of the trackbed. Note the remains of the steeply graded ramps that ran down from the road bridge and once gave access to the platforms here.

Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway)
John Furnevel [12/04/2013]


Ardler Junction: Scene at Ardler Junction looking west towards Coupar Angus on Saturday 15 August 1953. Ex-Caledonian 0-4-4T no 55227 is passing the signal box with a Blairgowrie - Dundee West train.

Scottish Midland Junction Railway
G H Robin collection by courtesy of the Mitchell Library, Glasgow [15/08/1953]


Walton-on-the-Naze: 321320, just arrived at the seaside terminus at Walton-on-the-Naze in Essex and waiting to return to Colchester via Colchester Town, on 18th September 2020. Sad to see that this is now reduced to a single platform at the end of the single-track branch from the Clacton line at Thorpe-le-Soken. Back in 1965, on a boyhood family holiday, both platforms were in use and the main building, dating from the 1867 opening, was open and fully staffed. A new building has been provided but on this day it was shut with no staff in evidence, apart from the driver and guard. On the left behind the trees is the site of the once-extensive goods yard.

Tendring Hundred Railway
David Bosher [18/09/2020]