The Manchester Liverpool Road station building of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway is often considered the world's first passenger terminus. It is seen at street level on 4 February 2010 almost 180 years after it was opened on 15 September 1830 by the Duke of Wellington. Although it only operated as a passenger station until May 1844, it continued in use as a goods depot until 1975. The red brick building on the corner, which predates the station itself, was purchased by the railway company and used as the superintendent's house. Today the station forms part of the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry and still contains several original features.
Location: Manchester Liverpool Road
Company: Liverpool and Manchester Railway
Photographer: John McIntyre
Contact photographer: John McIntyre
Image number: 28986