This waggonway extended the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway east over the South Esk river on a timber viaduct to the mines in the area to the north of Newtongrange mining village, being, with the mines, directly responsible for the development of the village.
A branch was taken to Newbyres Colliery to the south, west of Gorebridge.
No part of this waggonway survived to become the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway) although it ran very close by.
These locations are along the line.
This 1001 ft long viaduct crossed the River Esk carrying the privately owned Arniston Branch. The viaduct had stone piers and cast iron arches with the deck in timber.