This railway is open. The line was opened from Farington, on the North Union Railway south of Preston, to Blackburn in 1846. The line was bought by the East Lancashire Railway two months after opening. In 1850 an independent approach to Preston from the south was opened from a triangular junction, this was needed after the opening of the Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway (East Lancashire Railway) in 1849.
The connection to the former North Union Railway has been altered to Farington Curve Junction.
These locations are along the line.
The Blackburn and Preston Railway opened through here in 1846, running from a junction with the North Union Railway at Farington to Blackburn. This became part of the East Lancashire Railway in the same year.