Aberdare Railway

Introduction

This railway runs from Abercynon to Aberdare. The section between Aberdare and Fernhill is closed having been replaced by a parallel route.




Dates

31/07/1845[Aberdare Railway]
Act for the line promoted by Sir John Guest and Crawshay Bailey (of Aberaman Ironworks). Line to run from Navigation House to Aberdare with a branch to Cwmbach from Cwmbach Junction to provide a connection with the Aberdare Iron Company's tramroad to Abernant.
  /07/1846[Aberdare Railway]
Opened to minerals.
06/08/1846[Aberdare Railway]
Aberaman opened
06/08/1846[Aberdare Railway]
Aberdare opened
06/08/1846[Aberdare Railway]
Opened to passengers from Navigation House to Mill Street west of Aberdare.
01/01/1847[Aberdare Railway]
Line leased by the [Taff Vale Railway] to halt expansion eastwards of the [Vale of Neath Railway].
  /11/1852[Aberdare Railway]
Passenger service cut back from Mill Street to Aberdare.
  /06/1856[Aberdare Railway]
Aberaman closed
  /12/1856[Aberdare Railway]
Line doubled except for a short portion in Aberdare.
  /  /1864Taff Vale Extension
Connection to the Aberdare Railway opened at Mountain Ash.
  /  /1864Vale of Neath Railway
Connection to the Aberdare Railway opened at Aberdare Gadlys Junction.
  /08/1889[Aberdare Railway]
Traeman renamed Aberaman
31/07/1902[Aberdare Railway]
Merged into the [Taff Vale Railway].
  /  /1905[Aberdare Railway]
Mill Street re-opened.
  /  /1912[Aberdare Railway]
Mill Street closed.
  /  /1913Taff Vale Extension
Connection to the Aberdare Railway at Mountain Ash removed.
01/07/1924[Aberdare Railway]
Aberdare renamed Aberdare Low Level
16/03/1964[Aberdare Railway]
Aberaman closed
16/03/1964[Aberdare Railway]
Aberdare Low Level closed
16/03/1964[Aberdare Railway]
Closed to passengers.
20/10/1968[Aberdare Railway]
Singled and passing place retained at Abercwmboi.
29/07/1973[Aberdare Railway], [Vale of Neath Railway]
Connection made from Cwmbach Junction to the former route of the [Vale of Neath Railway]. A crossing of the River Cynon required a bridge and a bridge from the Oxford and Princes Risborough line was used. [Vale of Neath Railway] reopened from there to Aberdare to provide access to Tower Colliery.
29/07/1973[Aberdare Railway]
Closed between Cwmbach Junction and Aberdare on re-opening of [Vale of Neath Railway] route. This allowed road improvements, elimination of a level crossing, and property development and was financed by the council.
03/10/1988[Aberdare Railway]
Abercynon North opened
03/10/1988[Aberdare Railway]
Aberdare opened