West Walls Shed

Location type

Loco shed


Name and dates

West Walls Shed (1849-1877)

Opened on the Caledonian Railway.


Description

This was the Caledonian Railway's first permanent locomotive shed in Carlisle. It was to the north of the station alongside the town's West Wall almost directly below the Deanery of Carlisle Cathedral.

This was a seven road shed, approached from the north. It was on the east side of the main line and the approach to the station.

The Glasgow and South Western Railway were also accommodated.

With the preparations for the opening of the Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee) the northern approach to Carlisle was largely rebuilt. The shed closed around 1876/7 and was replaced with the new Kingmoor Shed at Etterby, north of the River Eden. West Walls Goods also closed and the main line at West Walls was realigned through the site and West Walls Goods opened, approached from Dentonholm North Junction.

The West Walls Shed site remained derelict until the mid 1880s when much the site was landscaped to become an extension of the Town Dyke Orchard, common land.

Local

Carlisle Deanery


Tags

Shed locomotive shed

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map