Spittalhill Signal Box

Location type

Place


Name and dates

Spittalhill Signal Box (1874-1935)


Description

This signal box was for the former mineral line south to Bardykes Colliery at Spittal Farm. The approach was from the north west, the line making a trailing connection opposite the box on the north side of the line.

The box probably opened around 1874, the sinking of the colliery.

Although the box closed in 1935 the mineral line remained open, the colliery closing in 1962.

The main line remains open, the modern electrified Hamilton Circle.

09/08/2019

Tags

Junction signal box